Vegan Polenta Fries & Zesty Dip [Gluten-Free, Oil-Free]
Crispy Polenta Fries: Guilt-free Comfort, Vegan Style
So, this was my first time cooking with polenta. To be sure that my vision came out the way I wanted it to, I bought the polenta in a roll in the refrigerated section at the market. It was very inexpensive ($1.99) and was seasoned with garlic and basil. The look of it inspired me so I bought a couple of rolls to play with. 🙂 What happened next made for one very happy family. So, I ended up making both rolls yesterday. In a family of 6, these fries went ridiculously quick. I better learn how to make polenta from scratch now!
There are a couple of different ways to cook these without oil. You can bake them or cook them on a non-stick surface. I use an electric, non-stick skillet. If you choose to use oil, I would suggest a little bit of coconut oil. It doesn’t leave a coconut taste and has a high smoke point, so it is safer than olive oil. Okay 🙂
- 1 roll of Prepared Polenta, flavored or unflavored
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Parsley garnish
- 1/2 Cup cashews, soaked
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Grey Poupon
- 1 Tbsp Horseradish (I love Bubbie’s!)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat non-stick skillet or oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut up polenta into fry sized matchsticks.
- Place polenta matchsticks, nutritional yeast, onion powder and sea salt into a mixing bowl.
- Stir carefully to thoroughly coat matchsticks.
- Arrange on skillet or baking sheet.
- Flip after 5 minutes. Cook for 5 -7 minutes on each side until crispy on each side.
- Combine cashews, lemon, Grey Poupon, horseradish, paprika, salt & pepper in blender until smooth.
- Plate fries and sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Munch out!
Thank you for checking out my recipe and, as always, thank you for choosing to go Vegan! If you are on Facebook, please follow me at http://facebook.com/veganmommaspage or opt in for the newsletter on my website. I always appreciate your feedback. Thank you!
☮ & ♡,
Suzie, The Vegan Momma